1. “Drink plenty of water” – This little tidbit of advice is surprisingly a controversial one. Some say increased water after a massage is not necessary and does nothing for you after a massage. I believe it does for a couple of reasons. (1) Massage can release muscle waste, like lactic acid, into your body and increase blood circulation. Just like after a workout, increasing your water intake now helps flush those byproducts out of your system and helps the body process them more efficiently. (2) Who doesn’t need to increase their water intake every once in awhile??
2. “Get more massage” – We don’t just say this so you’ll come back (PROMISE!). If you come in for pain, typically one massage (as awesome as we are) won’t completely fix a issue unless it’s very minor. Muscles take awhile to get tight enough to cause pain, so logically it takes a little bit of work to get them to loosen up again and this may take another session or two. If you come in to relax or for stress, typically a follow-up appointment will increase those happy chemicals in the body, allowing you to function better mentally and physically.
3. “Stretch!” – Ultimately, our goal with pain is to get you pain free so you can come in for a nice relaxing session every once in a while. Stretching at home will continue the progress we’ve made in the office, helping you feel better for longer. Your massage therapist would be happy to recommend a few for you if you’d like.
4. “Go home for a hot bath and a nap.” – This one is mine. I tell many of my clients this, simply because I see many clients who could use a little more rest and “me-time”. So many people are so busy doing for others that they forget to take even a few minutes for themselves. I personally do this every time I get a massage (which is every 3 weeks by the way). Doing this lets me relax, and I usually get a wonderful night’s sleep.
5. “Take it Easy” – What good does it do to relax your body and mind if you’re just going to get tight and stressed immediately after your massage? Diddly, that’s what! No running to the gym asking noodle-muscles to work. No heading straight to something you find extremely stressful right after. No softball tournaments the evening of your massage. Seriously…take it easy and enjoy the mellow for the day. You deserve to take it easy for a few.
Those are our most common tid-bits of advice, though they vary by session and client. If you have anymore questions after your session please don’t hesitate to ask. Even if you don’t think of it until you get home, we’re still only a phone call away and are happy to answer any of your questions.